The hood has a caddy top with 3 giltwood finials, a fine repousse brass fret, long side windows and ebony side columns with turned giltwood capitals.
The long trunk door has a ½ round ebony beaded edge, crossbanding, brass bound lenticel and boxwood lined geometrical decoration – a feature that continues on the base, which sits on bun feet.
There is ebony mouldings throughout the case, all the sides are laid into panels with crossbanding and boxwood lines. The carcass of this case is of heavy pine construction suitable to take the heavy month going weights.
The month going movement has 5 wheel trains, anchor escapement and strikes the hours on a bell via a countwheel. It has long plates and 5 finely turned pillars. The 12” dial has the early use of crown and cherub spandrels, ringed winding holes, calendar aperture, seconds ring, original hands and a bold signature on the chapter ring.
Andrew Brown, son of James brown of Langnewton was apprenticed to Humphrey Mills on the 21st Dec 1664. On the 30th June 1675 he was made a Burgess of Edinburgh and a week later a freeman of the hammermen. In 1677 he married Catherine Hogg and had at least 3 sons. In 1689 and 1690 he was elected boxmaster of the hammermen second in command to the Deacon, while in 1696 he became guild brother of Edinburgh. He died 12/4/1712.
John Smith, author of Old Scottish Clockmakers quotes “in view of the long time he was in business, 35 years, it is remarkable how exceedingly scarce are specimens of his art, only 3 have come under our notice one being the splendid clock in the lobby of the advocates library, another that was exposed in the window of a dealer in queen St. and the third in the possession of a private party.
Our clock case was made by the same cabinet maker that made the clock case in the advocate’s library. Similarities include a heavy pine carcase, brass repousse fret, identical capitals on the hood pillars, and the most unusual practice of inlaying boxwood of geometric patterns into rosewood veneers, although the advocates clock does have marquetry to the trunk door and caddy top, it does have boxwood strung panels to the sides and a very similar base to our clock.
Any clock dated pre.1700 from Edinburgh is an extremely rare item. Our discovery of this clock virtually intact and its subsequent restoration to a fine working clock is indeed a rare occurrence.
For further extensive info on Andrew Brown please see Clocks Magazine January 2013.
Height: 89 1/2 / 95 1/2″ (without / with finials)