The arched mahogany case has a concaved moulded pediment flanked by 2 brass bound pads and 5 urn finials. There are brass capped reeded pillars with brass inlay to the front and back, brass side handles, frets and feet.
The 9” brass dial has 3 enamel dials one for strike- silent one for regulation and the time dial, which is fully signed. The robust beautifully made movement has thick plates joined together with 6 turned pillars, a ½ dead-beat escapement, ¼ striking on 2 bells and the hours on one. There is a pull ¼ repeat facility. A notable feature are the use of lignum vitae hammers for the bell striking. The backplate has a polished facetted pendulum rod with a brass bob, an engraved border and a central engraved cartouche, which is fully signed and numbered.
Note: This clock is illustrated and described in the “Georgian Bracket Clock” by Richard Barder pg 187.
Grant ( John) a member of the clockmakers company from 1781 and died in 1810. A maker of fine clocks including regulators. He signed his clocks Grant Fleet St, London.
Height: 21 1/2″ (55cms)
Width: 15 1/2″ (39 1/2cms)
Depth: 8 1/2″ (21 1/2cms)