This case has a brass handle above a concave and convex moulded caddy; there are long Gothic arched side windows. The arched front door has an inlaid border, blind frets and some inlay; there is a moulding around the glass aperture. The clock is set on small ogee feet.
The 7” arched dial has brass corner and arch spandrels, fully signed silvered centre with all original hands.
The arched silvered boss would appear to have scrolled lettering among foliage. The well-made 8-day movement has four turned pillars, an unusual form of anchor escapement and a pull ¼ repeat on 2 bells for the ¼`s and one on the hour. There is also an alarm mechanism.
James Thomas was the son of Lewis, his clock making father who was apprenticed to George Graham in London for 9 years. He took over his father’s business on his death in 1770 and was working in a shop he had opened in Northgate St from 1777 – 85.
Height: 7″ (44cms) handle down
Width: 10″ (26cms)
Depth: 7″ (18cms)