The elaborate hood with caddy top surmounted with a giltwood shell and two giltwood finials. There are 4 freestanding turned pillars and the date in the fret. A slim 33″ long arched trunk door is flanked by flat reeded side columns and the base has a central recessed chevron panel. There is unusual crossbanding to the trunk door and hood.
The 8-day hour striking movement has 4 finely turned pillars, good wheelwork and a 12″ dial with seconds dial, date aperture and brass corner spandrels. John Joyce, son of clockmaker William was baptised at Wrexham 24th May 1718 and died in 1787. Of his 7 sons 5 became clockmakers. He attended to St. Mary’s church clock in Ellesmere from 1738-1758.
Height: With / without finials: 90″ / 85″ (216 / 229cms)