The hood with Owens typical break arch top, 3 giltwood finials and free standing pillars with turned giltwood capitals. The trunk has long ¼ columns and a shaped top door. The base has a raised shaped top panel and sits on a small plinth.
The very distinctive 8-day bell striking movement has 4 turned pillars and strikes the hours on a bell via Owen`s rack with pull repeat facility. The 12″ dial has an applied chapter ring with diamond ½ hour markers, winged cherub corner spandrels, date aperture, recessed seconds dial, ringed winding holes and good hands.
John Owen was born in 1719, married in 1746 and died 1776. A maker of very distinctive clocks. He dominated the North Wales Conway Valley area for many years. For a comprehensive history of Johns life and working practices please see the “clockmakers of Llanwrst” by Colin and Mary Brown.
span class=”dimensions”>Height: 87″ (221cms)