The hood with Owens typical break arch top has free standing columns with turned wood capitals. The trunk has long reeded ¼ columns and a shaped top door. The base has a raised shaped top panel and sits on ogee feet.
The very distinctive 8-day bell striking movement has 4 turned pillars and strikes the hours on a bell via Owens rack with a pull repeat facility. The 12″ dial has an applied chapter ring, corner spandrels, a matted centre, a date ring and a decorative ring instead of the seconds. (Please see Llanwrst book pg235 for an explanation of this feature).
John Owen was born in 1719, married in 1746 and died 1776. A maker of very distinctive clocks. He dominated the North Wales Conway Valley area for many years. For a comprehensive history of Johns life and working practices please see the “clockmakers of Llanwrst” by Colin and Mary Brown.
Height: 85 1/2 in (217cms)