A rare attractive unsigned oak 30-hr longcase clock by the Wigton school of clockmakers in Cumberland (almost certainly by John Sanderson) C1715.
The flat-topped hood has a carved fret and front and back attached columns with turned capitals. The long trunk door has an arched top and a double beaded edging and the plain base has a small wavy plinth. The oak case is particularly attractive with good grain and fine patina.
The posted frame movement is typical of the Wigton school and not normally found in Northern England, it consists of 4 turned brass pillars with ringed decoration a large anchor escape wheel and countwheel striking on a bell. Unusually the striking train is on the right-hand side.
The 10” dial has crown and cherub spandrels, an original amazingly thick hand that tapers down to its tip and a beautifully engraved centre with 5 tulips emanating from an urn.
Height: 78 ½” (199cms)
John Sanderson was born in 1671 and was still alive in 1754. He was the main Wigton maker of clocks in the early 18th century. Several other journeymen are thought to have worked for him producing easily identifiable clock movements. Much more info on him and Wigton makers can be found in clockmakers of Northern England by Brian Loomes.