The hood has a flat top and opening door with a half round dial beading. The long trunk has a round topped door with original hinges, turnbuckle fastener and a ½ round beaded surround. Half way up are 2 brass plates with the owners details JMS and 1741.The plinth sits on 2 shaped feet ( a leaner).
The movement has 4 turned pillars, anchor escapement and strikes the hours on a bell via a rack.
An unusual 12” dial has polished corners without spandrels, an engraved centre with an inset moon dial and a half round date dial and original hands. The floral engraved centre has a border and an owner’s inscription, John Skelton.
Height: 81” (206cms)
John Sanderson was born in 1671, believed to have been apprenticed to John Ogden of Bowbridge. His output was 30-hr clocks and just a few 8-day clocks, he died in 1748. There is lots more information in “Clockmakers of Cumberland” by John Penfold pg. 81-84 and “Brass Dial Clocks” by Brian Loomes pg 392 – 409.