The hood has a caddy top, giltwood finials, front fret, side windows and attached side pillars with brass capitals. The 42″ long trunk door has an inset brass bound lenticle and is exquisitely inlaid with bird, flower and foliage marquetry and a similarly decorated base sits on a plinth. The sides are set into panels with crossbanding and boxwood lines. Note: The marquetry has survived intact and retains some of its original colour. The eight day movement has 5 finely turned pillars which are latched as are the 4 dial feet, good wheelwork and strikes the hours on a bell via an inside countwheel.
The very attractive 12″ dial has an engraved border, ringed winding holes, original hands and a date aperture surrounded by decorative engraving. The chapter ring is fully signed and is distinguished by its most unusual 1/2 hour markers. John Shaw was apprenticed to Thomas Taylor of Holborn in 1672, was free of the Clockmakers Company in 1682 made assistant in 1705, warden in 1709 and was master in 1712. A very able maker with some fine examples still extant.
Height: With / without finials: 95″ (241cms) 92″ (234cms)