The hood has a caddy top with 3 giltwood finials, attached turned columns and side windows. The long trunk door has a half round beaded edge and a lenticle with a giltwood surround. A plain base has a small plinth.
Extensive use of ¼ sawn oak and a good patina make this an attractive clock.
The movement has 4 finely turned and finned pillars, anchor escapement, good wheel and metal work and strikes the hours on a bell via an inside countwheel. It has fine 12 ” dial with brass corner spandrels, ringed winding holes, and a beautifully engraved centre. Signed on the chapter ring “John Whithurst” (without the E).
John Whitehurst was born in 1687 at Biddulph where his family farmed. It is not known where he served his apprenticeship but assuming this was for the normal 7 years starting at 14 years old. He would have completed this in 1708. He set up in nearby Congleton as a clockmaker working there until his death, thought to be in 1731.
Very few of his clocks survive, but they all show his skill and workmanship. A full history of this renowned family can be seen in “John Whitehurst of Derby” by Maxwell Craven.
Height: 82 / 79 1/2 ” (208 / 202cms) With / without finials.