The mahogany case has four corner columns with turned capitals, an arched glazed front door and glazed arched side windows with brass sound frets above. There is a caddy top with brass carrying handle.
The very fine substantial 8-day movement has 7 turned pillars, anchor escapement, exquisite wheel and metal work and a pull ¼ repeat on 6 bells. The backplate and repeat spring are beautifully engraved and is fully signed Barker, Wigan in a cartouche. The 8” brass dial has corner and arch spandrels, silvered strike – silent, chapter ring, date aperture and signature plaque. The dial centre has criss – cross dial decoration, which is a very North-West England feature, both hands are original.
Barker, William, Wigan & Warrington, married 1745 – died 1786.
Father of Daye, a gunsmith in his petition for freedom of Wigan in 1751. Took William Holywell as apprentice on 12 May 1756 for 7 years at £12, and Henry Marsh on 16 June 1766 for 7 years at £25. A traveler through Wigan in 1791 reported that ‘Mr Barker of this place was for many years the only maker of steel cross-bows and also of the best fowling – pieces in the kingdom’. Recognised in his day as a clockmaker ‘of the first rank’ and still is today. A number of fine oak and mahogany longcases, usually with moonwork or escapement refinements, are signed ‘William Barker, Wigan’, also more ordinary clocks, with 30 –hour and 8-day brass dials.
• Painted – dial three – train bracket clockwith arch rolling moon and centre calendar signed ‘William Barker,Warrington’, but ‘Wigan’ on the backplate. In Merseyside museum, Liverpool.
• Quarter – chiming bracket clock with 8 ¼” matted- brass dial, signed ‘Willm Barker, Wigan’. Strike – silent regulator in the arch and an alarm setting disc. The backplate is engraved with birds and scrolls. Inverted – bell top ebony case.
•Pull-repeat bracket timepiece, signed ‘Barker, Wigan’.
Height: 21 ½ “ ( 54cms) handle down.
Width: 15 ½” ( 40cms)
Depth: 10” ( 25cms)